These hearty fall recipes are as cozy as a warm sweater

Posted on by Anna Tegelberg. This entry was posted in Eating Well, Staying Healthy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Fall is the perfect time to embrace warm, hearty meals that nourish both the body and soul. There’s something comforting about cooking at home during this season—whether it’s the rich aroma of spices or the warmth of the oven on a cool evening. To make things even easier, fall is ideal for one-pot meals that are perfect for meal prep, letting you stock up on delicious leftovers that’ll keep you going throughout the week.

I’ve gathered a collection of simple recipes from my colleagues in UW Human Resources that not only celebrate the flavors of fall but also support your well-being during cold and flu season. Curious what nutrients are most important this time of year? Check out this resource on our site.

Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or something a little heartier, these dishes will bring cozy comfort to your table. Let’s dive into some fall flavors that are as wholesome as they are delicious!

Chicken Veggie Soup, personal recipe

Submitted by Anna Tegelberg, Assistant Director for The Whole U

We love this recipe in my household! One pot often lasts us the entire week, and the ingredients are simple and easy to prepare. You can always add more spices or vegetables to increase flavor depending on your preferences. My favorite thing about this recipe is you don’t have to be strict with how much you have of each ingredient. Get creative and make your own variation! Of course, we always serve with some delicious, toasted bread.

Ingredients:

• 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced into ½ inch pieces
  • 4-5 carrots, diced in ½ inch chunks
  • 2 cups red potatoes, cut into ½ inch chunks
  • 1 white onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
  • 5 ribs celery, diced
  • 2 handfuls kale, diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons flour (can use arrowroot or white all-purpose depending on dietary needs)
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 2 bay leaves
  1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. While oil is heating, season chicken with salt and pepper.
  2. Add chicken to the stock pot and cook on high heat for for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside on a plate.
  3. Add onion, celery, carrot and minced garlic to the stock pot. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until onion starts to become translucent, stirring often and scraping the bottom to loosen the browned bits
  4. Mix flour with 1 cup of the broth until dissolved and add to the stock pot.
  5. Add chicken, chicken broth, potatoes and all spices. Stir to combine and add more salt and pepper to taste
  6. Bring to a simmer and cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes
  7. Once potatoes and carrots are soft, add kale and continue to simmer 5-10 minutes.
  8. Discard bay leaves, remove from heat and add additional fresh or dried parsley to taste.

Tomato, Orzo and Dill Soup, from The Mom 100

Submitted by Jolyn Mason, Director of Employee Social Impact Programs

Not that it was a competition, but this recipe was the obvious fan favorite at a large family gathering, so much so we nearly ran out of it! This is a now a favorite recipe of colleagues I’ve shared with over the years. It is rich and delicious and the fill adds a real brightness to it.

Chickpea Curry, adapted from the Plant Based School

Submitted by Jules Hansen, Compensation Specialist, Campus

This is one of my favorite fall recipes (though it’s also a staple year-round in our household). It’s easy to make, vegan and gluten free, and it’s a real crowd pleaser. It’s hearty and warming and brings lots of comfort during the cold and dark weather.

I make a few alterations – I use just one can of chickpeas and add in some parboiled potatoes and carrots instead. I also add a small pat of butter at the end along with the sugar and garam masala for extra creaminess. Don’t skip the sugar – it rounds out the flavors perfectly. I also cook it down a bit longer than the recommended cook time since I prefer a thicker curry. This makes a huge portion and is great for meal prep or freezer meals. Serve it with rice or naan and optionally a dollop of Greek yogurt.

Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake, from Meaningful Eats

Submitted by Jessica Cole, Director of UW WorkLife

My family is a gluten free, dairy free family so finding a recipe for a sweet treat that everybody loves is a gem! I’ve already made this recipe six times since fall has begun because everyone in my friend circle loves it, even the gluten eaters!

Veggie Loaded Vegetable Soup, from Hummusapian

Submitted by Sarah Erickson, UWCFD Campaign Assistant

This is my go-to cold weather soup because it’s infinitely customizable and is a great way to use whatever ingredients I have on hand. Just start with the basic formula (mirepoix, seasoning, broth and add-ins) and have fun making it your own. For example, I frequently swap Herbes de Provence for the Italian seasoning, green beans instead of corn, and add in rotini or some other shapely pasta near the end of cooking. 

Honey Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries and Feta, from Peas and Crayons

Submitted by Betsy Mugavero, UWCFD Campaign Assistant

I’m obsessed with how delicious this recipe looks! I haven’t had the chance to create it yet, but I can just tell it’s going to be delicious. Full of delicious seasonal squash and the flavors of the Autumn season.

Creamy Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Pasta

Submitted by Emma D Ueda, UWCFD Campaign Assistant

This is my favorite fall recipe! A friend made it for me a few years ago and it’s been a favorite of mine to return to. I’ve recreated it a few times and it’s always so delicious!

Looking for even more fall recipes? The Whole U has an array of nutritious recipes provided by UW Dietitians. We bet you’ll love these:

Let us know if you try any of these meals! Happy cooking this fall.