Work It: UW Fitness Day Recap

Posted on by Sarah Flower-McCraw. This entry was posted in Being Active, Staying Healthy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

“Each person holds so much power within themselves that needs to be let out. Sometimes they just need a little nudge, a little direction, a little support, a little coaching, and the greatest things can happen.”Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seattle Seahawks

On May 24, 2017, more than 700 members of the UW community—staff, faculty, and students—took the field at Husky Stadium to celebrate fitness and its many forms for UW Fitness Day. The signature event, hosted by Mindy Kornberg, vice president of Human Resources, underscored The Whole U’s mission to promote workplace wellness and engage people of all fitness levels.

“To see the UW community come together to celebrate fitness and the ways it connects us was simply phenomenal,” Kornberg said. “Not to mention so, so much fun.”

Over the course of the 40-minute workout, groups of 15-20 moved through a total of 20 circuit training stations, each staffed by a coach from UW Athletics, UW Recreation, or from one of our fitness partners from The Whole U discount network. Thank you to everybody who joined us as a participant or otherwise helped make this day possible.

A special thanks to UW Athletic Director Jennifer Cohen and UW Gymnastics coach Elise Ray for serving as coaches and getting us pumped to start the day, as well as to Jessica Norman, fitness coordinator of UW Recreation, who led the field in a fun warm-up, timed our exercises, and stretched us out when the workout was through. Moving through each station, participants could do as much or as little exercise as felt comfortable. The stations ranged from sprinting to push-ups to tai chi to hula hooping. Catch the full list below!

Here’s what a few participants had to say about their day under the sun:

“This was the Whole U’s best event to date! Very well organized, fun, accessible for all levels. Loved the coaches—so cool to squat with Jen Cohen!”Marilyn J. Carruth, Administrator for Recreational Sports

“Thank you so much for this event. It was awesome. Being in the stadium was a treat. Every single coach was great—we appreciate their time and expertise. Also, thank you for arranging the groups/stations so co-workers and friends could stay together—great idea. I had lots of fun, wished it lasted longer and hope there might be another one in the future? James A. Anderson, Fiscal Specialist in the International Studies Department

“I really enjoyed the variety of movements and exercises that were conducted. I actually learned a few new exercises to incorporate in my existing workouts.”Lynn Hermanson, Graduate Advisor

“Thank you for putting on a huge, well-organized event! It was great to see all the people out there. Very impressed and hopefully the event will continue next year!”Elisa Kong Beebe, Research Manager for Gastroenterology

“Super fun! Thank you for providing this opportunity to have “fun in the sun” and burn a bonus 484 calories in the middle of the work day. I don’t usually get out midday.”Robin Gibson, Research Scientist

I am a competitive runner, consistently winning my age group in races. However, I have lost sight of the importance of core strengthening and surely discovered several little-used muscles during this event.  I am inspired to increase my core strength exercises as a result.” –Karl G. Kunkle, Seaglider Fabrication Center Production Manager, Department of Oceanography

Well organized, like the interval exercise. I will come back again and recommend my friends to join me next time. Good job.” —Mirasol P. Sherwood, Program Coordinator for HS ACAD & FACI

I would love to do more events like this! It really made me do exercises I don’t normally do and pushed me to go harder!” —Elizabeth O. Lee, Operations Specialist

Husky Stadium provided the perfect setting for the UW community to come together to work it! (Photo: Matthew Leib)

“Suns out, guns out.” (Photo: Tara Brown)

Mindy Kornberg, vice president for UW Human Resources, served as master of ceremonies—with a little help from Harry the Husky. (Photo: Tara Brown)

Jessica Norman, fitness coordinator of UW Recreation, led the workout as well as the warm-up and cool down. (Photo: Tara Brown)

It was smiles all around on the 10-yard line. (Photo: Tara Brown)

Our unsurpassed group of coaches cut loose for a photo-op after the day wrapped. (Photo: Tara Brown)

Check out more photos by liking us on Facebook.

For those interested in the circuit training line up:

1. Front / Side/ Back Kick
  2. Push-ups
  3. Squats
  4. Yoga: Boat Pose
  5. Jumping Jacks
  6. Plank Hold
  7. Hula Hoop
  8. Wide Squat with Upper Cuts
  9. Yoga: Downward Dog pose
  10. Bridge
  11. High Knees
  12. Plank Jacks
  13. Side Jumps
  14. Yoga: Tippy Toe Mountain
  15. Mountain Climbers
  16. Football Running Ladder
  17. Crunches
  18. Burpees
  19. Wide Squat with Twist
  20. Cardio Bursts

Special thanks as well to our wonderful event sponsors, who did so much to help make UW Fitness Day possible before bringing energy to the day itself!

To all who were able to join us for such an incredible event, thank you. We loved seeing you and hope to see you at upcoming events. If you have any ideas for future events, please get in touch with us with your ideas at wholeu@uw.edu.

If you enjoyed the teamwork and community spirit on display at UW Fitness Day, then you’ll love our Raise the Bar summer challenge starting July 10! Don’t miss it!