For the fifth consecutive year, The Whole U is proud to bring Yoga Month to the University of Washington. Throughout October, we invite avid yogis and new practitioners alike from all campuses and medical centers to join in scores of fun events and activities—all chances to explore the many benefits of yoga practice.
Last year, we explored the seven chakras. This year, we decided to start Yoga Month in October to coincide with Mental Health Awareness Month. From helping cope with depression and anxiety to higher levels of confidence and energy, yoga has a profound effect on mental health with many studies detailing yoga’s benefit on emotional and spiritual health.
Okay, so how do I participate? Register here for more details and access to all UW Yoga Month offerings. Then, check out five ways we’re making it easy for you to make yoga work for your overall wellness at work this October!
Yoga Month Dawg Pass
Local yoga studios are partnering up with the Whole U Yoga Month and offering a FREE Yoga Month Dawg Pass—that’s as many as 66 FREE yoga classes—but you must be registered for Yoga Month to access it. Here’s a peek at the studios participating in the Yoga Month Dawg Pass:
- Moda Yoga Seattle, Inside Out Yoga. Shefayoga, Omculture at Greenlake, The Center For Yoga of Seattle, Leela Yoga Studio and The University Y at UW Tacoma
Whole U Sponsored Seminars and Classes
The Whole U and UW Recreation will also be offering these seminars, classes, and discounted series to celebrate Yoga Month. Sign up for each offering before they fill up!
- Whole U Speaker Series: Mental Health Benefits of Yoga On & Off the Mat on October 11th with Danny Arguetty. Sign up here.
- Yoga Month class with Danny Arguetty at the HUB on October 18th. Sign up here.
- Discounted* 10-week yoga series at the HUB starting October 3rd. Register here.
- Discounted* 8-week yoga series at South Campus Center. Register here.
- Discounted* Meditation series at the HUB starting October 9th. Register here.
- Discounted* Deep Relaxation series at the HUB starting October 9th. Register here.
*Please note there is at 15.6% institutional overhead charge for using credit card, cash or check.
Weekly Articles and Expertise
Yoga extends beyond the physical practice and so, The Whole U has partnered with Danny Arguetty, Mindfulness Program Manager at UW, to provide additional content and expert advice to all participants. Check out our website every Monday in October for new articles on the chakras, the mental health benefits of yoga, and how yoga increases longevity and strength. Also, don’t miss the opportunity to learn from Danny first hand, both on and off the mat, by signing up for his yoga class and seminar.
Danny Arguetty, M.A., E-RYT 500, is the Mindfulness Program Manager at the University of Washington, yoga teacher (and trainer), nutrition and health counselor, wellness educator, and a lover of the environment. Danny has guided workshops throughout the United States, led basic and advanced yoga trainings in the U.S. & India. He was adjunct faculty at Williams College, leads a quarterly course on Intro to Mindfulness at UW, and is a faculty member at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health.
The Whole U discount network is full of yoga studios to expand your practice at a time and location that works for you. Consider visiting one of these studios this October:
- Aditi Yoga and Massage – 10% discount
- Balance Yoga Studio – $100/month membership (regularly $165)
- Bikram Yoga – U District – $10 off/month
- Breathe Yoga Studios – 20% discount
- Classical Hata Yoga – 15% discount
- Core Power Yoga – $109/month membership (regularly $135)
- Edgeworks Climbing (offers yoga) – 20% discount
- Exhale Pilates (offers yoga) – 15% discount
- Expand Yoga – 10% discount
- Fruition Yoga – 20-25% discount
- Highline Athletic Club (offers yoga) – 20-25% discount
- Jasyoga at Hec Ed – $3 discount per class
- Levitas Studio – 25% discount
- Tacoma Yoga – 10% discount
- Vertical World (offers yoga) – 10% discount
- YMCA (yoga classes) – Free enrollment
- Zum Fitness (yoga classes) – 20-25% discount
Social Media Fun
Throughout the month, we’re encouraging you to document your yoga experiences and share it with us to inspire others across the UW. Here are some ways to connect and get involved:
- Take a picture of yourself doing yoga at a non-traditional location or at your favorite location to practice and share it with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or by email.
- Stay motivated by checking out the #UWYoga on Instagram and Twitter and then add your own photos to the mix!
- For daily inspiration, join The Whole U Be Active Facebook group and see what the rest of the UW community is up to.
However you participate in UW Yoga Month this October, we hope you do. So grab a mat, some comfy clothes, and register here if you haven’t already. We can’t wait to see you around!