At the University of Washington, sustainability is in our nature. Students, faculty and staff work every day to make the UW a more sustainable place, with an eye on our future.
The annual SustainableUW Festival celebrates these efforts and leadership across the university. This year’s festival runs Oct. 17-23, with events hosted by many different departments, student groups and organizations across the UW.
There are dozens of events happening during the festival. Some of the highlights include:
- The Sustainable Exhibitor Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 18, in the HUB Ballroom. UW programs, student groups, and community partners who put sustainability first will be available to talk about their work and how you can get involved. Enjoy entertainment from several arts groups on the Cultural Sustainability Stage during the event.
- Huskies for Humanity, “Changing Global Health Ecosystems: Humans, Animals, and the Environment” on Monday, Oct. 17. An interactive panel discussion where presenters will address the interactions between humans, animals, and the environment, and the impact on health.
- Just Eat It: A Food Waste Story, on Tuesday, October 18 at 6:00 p.m. two filmmakers share their journey of surviving on discarded food for six months. Through their award-winning documentary, “Just Eat It: A Food Waste Story” the filmmakers hope is to shed light on North America’s food waste.
- UW’s Salmon Safe Certification celebration and award ceremony on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Sustainability Careers Meet & Greet, connecting students with representatives from the business, non-profit, government and education sectors, on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Husky Highlight, featuring UW Environmental Innovation Challenge winner Jiko Power on Thursday, Oct. 20.
- UW Sustainability open house on Friday, Oct. 21. Stop by our office in Gerberding Hall, room B40, to learn more about the sustainability resources we have to offer.
These are just a few of the many events happening during the week. There will also be many other lectures, volunteer opportunities, ways to connect with student groups, and much more. For full information on all the events happening throughout the festival, visit green.uw.edu/festival/events.
The SustainableUW Festival is intended to showcase sustainability events from everywhere on campus. If you know of an event which should be included on the festival calendar, please let us know at email@example.com.
UW’s sustainability efforts don’t end when the festival does. There are events touching on the many different aspects of sustainability happening year-round at the University of Washington. We hope you come and celebrate with us during the SustainableUW Festival, and then keep exploring sustainability at the UW throughout the year.