Sweeten a Patient’s Day by Making Valentines
You’re invited to participate in the eighth annual Valentine Card Project, hosted by staff at UW Medical Center’s Art Program and Arts In Healing. Our goal is to create 550 beautiful handmade Valentine cards for all UW Medical Center inpatients, which will be delivered on February 14. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun and be a part of this creative and beautiful tradition, including friends and family. No art experience required!
UW Medical Center patients are primarily adults, which is one reason this event is so special. They come from Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho — the five state region UW Medical Center serves. But we also see patients from all over the country and the world due to our highly specialized medical services. Since our patients are often far from home, family, and friends, this gesture of showing we care means a lot!
This year we are mixing things up a bit by teaming with The Whole U. For the first time, Valentine-making events will be held on UW’s Seattle campus as well as at the medical center:
Valentine’s Events held at UW Medical Center:
- Wednesday, January 13: 11:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Plaza Café
- Tuesday, January 19: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Plaza Café
- Monday, January 25: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Plaza Café
- Wednesday, February 3: 11:00a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Plaza Café
Valentine’s Events on the Seattle campus:
- Friday, January 29: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the UW Tower Cafeteria
- Thursday, January 28: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the HUB
Each event will be stocked with all the necessary supplies. We only need you! Arts in Healing staff will be at every event and, if needed, can be your creative resource. Come before or after your shift, during your break, or at lunch. Bring your colleagues or friends to join in the fun. As an additional bonus, you will be able to make a card for your own special someone after making a card for a patient.
If you can’t attend one of these card-making events but would still like to participate, you can use your own supplies to make cards. Or, you may stop by or send a friend to pick up some materials from one of the events. Please follow the guidelines listed below when creating your card(s).
Guidelines – What we’re looking for:
- You can create one or more Valentine’s Day cards
- Maximum size: approx. 5”x 7”
- No envelopes please
- Please include a personalized message inside. A few examples are: “Thinking of you today,” “Happy Valentine’s Day,” etc. Please keep the message secular in nature
- Sign your card. Signatures need not be your name; they may be more general (a few examples are: “From all of us at UWMC,” “From UWMC’s Accounting Dept.,” “From the Smith family,” etc.)
- Cards may be dropped off at the Volunteer Services office (NN-303), put in campus mail, or U.S. mailed to Karen Neuhard-Forsythe, UWMC Volunteer Services, 1959 NE Pacific St., Box 356144, Seattle, WA 98195
- Valentines are due in the Volunteer Services office by Monday, February 8, 2016
A huge heartfelt thank you goes to everyone participating in this project. It is a bright spot in our patients’ day and it is truly appreciated!
Karen Neuhard-Forsythe, M.S.Ed, is the manager of the Art Program at UW Medical Center where she curates their amazing fine art collection as well as oversees the Arts in Healing Program. Karen has been involved in the arts all her life and considers it an essential part of living. When not working she enjoys participating in all the arts, cooking, hiking, gardening, traveling, and hanging out with her family and friends. Please contact her at 598-6308 or email@example.com with any questions about this or other arts programming.